Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Nightshade Free Chicken Tortilla Casserole Recipe for Dinner on the Ground Potluck

What does a recipe have to do with Church of Christ Women Authors? Well, there are several cookbook writers on here, and each of us at some point are going to have to cook a dish for a potluck dinner. So, I thought I'd start sharing some of my favorite recipes. (It was my mom's suggestion -- great idea Mom!) Look for the tab at the top of the page called Dinner on the Ground Recipes for a complete list of recipes. I'll be adding to them as often as I can.

So, let's turn our attention to food! I love potlucks. I enjoy spending time with my Christian family, and getting to know everyone a little bit better, but I hate trying to figure out what I'm going to fix to eat.  This is partly because I suffer from serious food allergies, and making food is always a challenge, because I want it to be appealing to those without food allergies. (My family loves potluck because they can eat all the things we don't have in the house!)

Because of the food allergies I am constantly having to rewrite my favorite recipes. Eventually, I'm going to write my own cookbook for those who suffer with nightshade allergies. A few days ago I finally remembered a casserole dish that I used to make all the time for my family and decided I would make it nightshade free. I believe it's also gluten-free, but please double check before you cook it. (Those with gluten allergies know this much better than I do!)

Nightshade Free Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts
1 white onion
1 stick butter
1 can sliced mushrooms, or  1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms!
1 quart whipping cream
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
1/4 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos
Extra virgin olive oil
1 bag tortilla chips
1 Tbs cumin (I sometimes use more)
Cilantro, optional
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Dice the onion and place it in a sauce pan. Add butter, and cook over a medium heat until the onions are transparent. Add one drained can of sliced mushrooms, whipping cream and 1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos to the saucepan. (This is basically a homemade cream of mushroom soup.) Stir often.

Add salt, pepper and 1 Tsp of garlic powder to the soup mixture and then turn the heat to warm.

Add 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet. Cut the chicken breasts into chunks and place them in the skillet. Cook until golden brown. Then transfer them to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.

Crush the tortilla chips while they are still in the bag and then pour the crushed chips over the chicken.

Pour the cream of mushroom soup over the chips and chicken. Sprinkle 1 Tbs of cumin over the mixture, add cilantro if you'd like and stir. (I like a lot of cilantro, but I am a Texas girl.)

Sprinkle the mixture with 2-cups of cheddar cheese. (Please note that store-bought shredded cheese does contain potato starch, so you might want to grate your own.)

Bake for 30 minutes at 450 degrees.


I hope you like this recipe and the new Dinner on the Ground Segment of Church of Christ Women Authors.
--Susan

For information about nightshades click: here.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Now I am hungry! I will have to try this recipe soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, and you can add all kinds of things to it if you're not allergic. You can use a can of rotel tomatoes with the cream of mushroom soup, or add peppers. Might even add olives. GOOD STUFF!

      Delete