Thursday, December 3, 2015

Lynn Nodima's Six Favorite Writing Things

Lynn Nodima's Favorite Writer Things


When I was asked to write a short list of my favorite things to use in my writing life, I thought it would be easy to come up with dozens of items.

Writing has been a part of my life for so long, I was sure there were dozens of things I really like to use in my work.

I didn't want to put a computer or printer, though those are probably the most used items in my office. Nor did I want to list my Microsoft Office software, my photo software, or other such obvious items.

 However, I was only able to come up with a few other items. They are listed below.

Six Favorite Writer Tools 

  • Pentel R.S.V.P. Ballpoint Pen Assorted Ink Colors, 8 Pack Both as a writer and as an editor, I use ink of different colors to make the comments on documents more easily located. Since I am a visual learner, using color ink pens makes it easier for me to remember when I am taking a class, too. 
  • Journal/Notebook with Elastic Closure I love blank books. I use them for daily to-do lists, for article ideas, for notetaking, and for doodling with different colors ink when I can't think of what to write. 
  • Romance Writer's Phrase Book I use this so much that I have nearly worn it out. I should really get a new one. It is the perfect reference when I am trying to come up with an action that shows an emotion.
  • Hamilton Beach Electric Kettle, Cordless I absolutely love my water kettle. It heats water faster than I can heat it on the stove, and has a safety feature that cuts it off so that it won't boil dry. I use this to heat water for cocoa, to help food get started, since I can add boiling water to the pan before it would boil on the stove, and most importantly, for instant cappacino and hot tea.
  • Silicon Power 1TB Rugged Armor Shockproof / Waterproof 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Military Grade External Portable Hard Drive  This is my lifesaver. I don't have to worry that my data will be lost if I drop it in a rain puddle. I can't tell you how good that feels--not that I tend to drop things in rain puddles, but I do worry about such things. Imagination on overdrive, you know?
  • Portable Hard Drive Carrying Case This case would let me safely carry my portable harddrive with me. 

2 comments:

  1. I like your list, Lynn. What kind of external hard drive do you have? I still backup things to thumb drives, now that CDs don't have enough room (and before that floppy disks, remember those guys?) and my computer guy says I should get one.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy, I have the one mentioned above, the Silicon Power 1TB portable. I sometimes take mine with me in my purse, and it gets bumped around. So I felt I needed to get something that wouldn't be likely to crash on me. I make a backup on my computer, but my most important files are always on the portable harddrive. I can easily take it with me and work where ever I happen to be on any computer available. It makes it easier to move from my desktop to my laptop, too, since the files are all on the portable. The only issue I have had is that if I turn on my laptop with the Silicon Power plugged in, it tries to boot off the portable. I have to power down, unplug it, and start over. I highly recommend it. I have been using it for over a year and have had no issues with it.

    ReplyDelete