Monday, August 3, 2015

Hai! by Susan Elliott


Hai!

This short read is about a family going to eat sushi -- one of my family's favorite things to do.

I first wrote this poem when I was attending Northwest Arkansas Community College in 2005. I remember sitting in my professor's office telling him how much I wanted to turn this poem into a children's book. He was encouraging, but had no idea how to get into the business of picture book writing.


How the times have changed the publishing and printing world! Today anyone with a dream can write an publish.

I worked on the original edition of Hai! for a long time (I think about a year.) It was the first time I'd ever illustrated anything, and it turned out pretty cool; however, I was never truly satisfied with it.

Since then I've learned much more about illustrating books, and have recently created a new version of Hai! with brilliant watercolor images, and I love it! I hope you'll love it, too!

The poem Hai! has been published in Visions, on Every Writer's Resource, and of course on Susan's Poetic Blogosphere!


Don't forget to check out Susan Elliott's Meet the Author Page!



Have you ever written a children's book?






3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to write another children's story about a dragon. I used to tell my son a series of stories when he went to bed at night. He was a knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. I enjoyed hearing you read it aloud at Bryan College a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all unpublished and illustrated by my children when they were young:)

    ReplyDelete