Saturday, July 18, 2015

Meet the Author: Susan Elliott


susan elliott, church of christ women authors, women authors, church of christ
Susan Elliott

Susan Elliott is a poet, fiction and nonfiction writer. She has written several ladies class books, general studies books and poetry books. She operates the site Church of Christ Women Authors, and manages the Church of Christ Women Authors Facebook Page and Group Page.

So, there's the basic stuff about me. Now, let me kick it up a notch. I am a mother of three and married to an awesome gospel preacher. In my free-time (I know what's free-time?) I paint, make jewelry (Etsy store: Excavating Treasure, and Excavating Treasure Blog), and read. I also love speaking on ladies days and teaching ladies class. I am a home school mom, and have lived all over the country. I am also an avid SYFY fan. Yes, I know...I guess part of me refuses to grow up and I guess that's okay. I look forward to hearing from you any chance you get. You can reach me at susanelliottbooks@gmail.com, churchofchristwomenauthors@gmail.com, or at my blog Becoming Women of Virtue.  Now for my funky smiley face. *:9)

Susan Elliott's Books

Wandering Through a Barely Functional Mind
Ink Blots on Paper
A Breaking Dawn with an Orange Sunrise
Every Flaw Every Perfection
Hai! Hello!
Humanism: A Christian's Greatest Enemy
Rightly Dividing The Word: A II Timothy Study Guide (A Hearts on Fire Study)
Rejoice Sister! You Have Every Reason (A Hearts on Fire Study)
Life Lessons from the Book of Ruth (A Hearts on Fire Study)
More Than a Passing Glance: Early Christian Art
Will You Be My Friend?: Growing Friends In the Church (A Hearts on Fire Study)

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
I started writing poetry at 9 years old. I still have my poetry journal. I realized I wanted to write religious books after attending the Memphis School of Preaching with my hubby. 

How long does it take you to write a book? 
Several weeks of steady work.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 
I concentrate on my writing and push through it. Sometimes I write all day and into the night.
Do you have an interesting writing quirk? 
Not really, but I read everything out loud to make sure it sounds good.
Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? 
Sometimes it's from Ladies Day events I do. Other times it's because my husband said something I wanted to know more about in his sermon. My book, More Than a Passing Glance: Early Christian Art comes from my love of art. I took several art classes in college and realized that the early Christians had a lot to say, even if it was just in their art. 

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I make jewelry for my Etsy store, Excavating Treasure. A lot of my jewelry is inspired by the ocean, so I like to hunt for the perfect materials and then construct original pieces. I also love gemstones, so I try to use natural stones.

What would you tell other Christian women who want to write? 
Write. We have to write. There are not enough women in writers out there, and we have a lot to say. We teach our children, we learn from our experiences, and our writing can help other women who may be facing the same struggles.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 
Nine. So far, it's More Than a Passing Glance: Early Christian Art

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer?
If so, what are they? Read. My teacher told me a long time ago that you write what you read. Also, learn to navigate the ropes of Indie Publishing. Everyone has a shot at publishing now days.

What do you like to read? 
Science fiction, and fantasy are my favorite reads. I just love the story and getting wrapped up in it.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 
Lots of things. I know I wanted to be a cowboy when I was really small. 

Fun fact. 
I taught my children several Klingon phrases in their home school classes, and I love to sing.

You can also keep up with Susan at Susan Elliott's Facebook Page!



9 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, I have read several of your books and enjoyed them. My favorite is not listed above: Hai!: Hello. I found it on Amazon. Please list it.
    Lynn Nodima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm not sure it's available right now. I'll check it out and if it is, I will list it.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are one busy woman! I do not know how you do it but hearty congratulations for your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I like being busy. It keeps me from getting bored and in trouble. *:9)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to get to know YOU better, Susan! We homeschooled our 2 sons (25 years--I miss it) and I teach ladies Bible classes now, after years and years of teaching children's Bible classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Katy! I'm enjoying getting to know you, too! And, I can't wait to read Mercy's Prince! *:9)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan,
    I just found your site. What an awesome idea, putting together Church of Christ authors. I'm an author, too. I will definitely look at some of your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pamela! I am so glad you stopped by. I'd love to get your books on here. Send me an email at churchofchristwomenauthors@gmail.com. :)

      Delete
  8. Susan, I'm working on information for a Ladies retreat. We are looking for DVD lesson with workbooks. Do you have anything or could direct me to some? Thanks. Theresa

    ReplyDelete