Saturday, July 18, 2015

Meet the Author: Arwen Chandler


edvard munch, church of christ women authors, church of christ, eye in eye, arwen chandler, science fiction

Arwen Chandler

Arwen Chandler is a thriller, science fiction and fantasy writer. She is working on several novels, and has written three short read stories that are available on Kindle. Arwen is a huge fan of all things fantasy, and enjoys going to conventions and dressing up.




Arwen's Books:

Blue Springs, Kansas
The Louvre Still Stands
Odds & Ends: A Collection of Short Fiction



When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 

I've been writing for a long time, but didn't realize I truly wanted to write fiction until about 2008. I always thought it was out of reach. I was wrong. If you want to write; do it!


How long does it take you to write a book? 

Well, that depends. Short fiction can be done in a few hours. I'm still working on my novel. 


What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 

I have to find time to write. Sometimes I go for days at a time, and then sometimes I don't actually type anything. With that said, my books are always in my mind.


Do you have an interesting writing quirk? 

I like to wear a sock monkey hat when I write my fiction if it's cold outside, and when I'm working on a fantasy piece I listen to Dan Gibson, Enya or the The Lord of the Rings Sound Track.




Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? 

Depends. One of the stories in Odds & Ends: A Collection of Short Fiction was written because of the riots in Ferguson. Other things just pop in my head, or come out of things I find amusing. I watch a lot of true crime and crime dramas.


What do you like to do when you're not writing? 

I love to paint. Painting is relaxing and I just love to feel the paint move beneath my brush.


What would you tell other Christian women who want to write? 

Do it! Don't think you can't. If you want to write fiction -- write it, if you want to write non-fiction Bible class materials do it. Believe that you can.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 


I have written/ am writing six books. My favorite book as of right now is the Collision of Fire and Ice, but it's a work in progress.


Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? 

Yes. Write. Write. Write. Don't be afraid to write something even if it's not great. Just write. And, read.


What do you like to read? 

Well, my reading taste is various. I like classics (Dracula), science fiction (Dune), fantasy (Lord of the Rings), crime novels, and thrillers.


As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 

I wanted to be in the Air Force, and then an astronaut. 


Fun fact. 

My pen name was given to me by a friend and comes from the Lord of the Rings character Arwen Evenstar. 




6 comments:

  1. Hi Arwen, I like to listen to Enya and Celtic music when I write fantasy fiction, too.
    Lynn Nodima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I think there is not much better than Enya and Celtic music to listen to when writing fantasy. It kind of get's you in the mood. Nice talking to you.

      Arwen

      Delete
    2. I forgot to ask: Does wearing the sock monkey hat really help? I may have to get one!

      Delete
    3. I think it does. It has ear flaps so it blocks out noise, and it's warm and cozy so it keeps my head warm, and plus it prevents brains from spilling out of my head. :)

      Arwen

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking Cetlic Thunder is pretty awesome. I haven't listened to them as I was writing, but they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pen name, Arwen, and LOTR too! I also wanted to be an astronaut but write fantasy now. Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete