Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Treasured Woman by Christa Bryant Book of the Month Club Reading Discussion Week One

If you're reading along with me you already know that the first three chapters of The Treasured Woman are fantastic! I want to thank Christa Bryant for writing this book. It is full of wisdom that so many of us have forgotten.

Chapter One: The Proverbs 31 Woman

In chapter one Christa covers the account of the Proverbs woman in great detail. She encourages readers to list the admirable qualities of the Proverbs woman that they would most like to adopt into their lifestyle, and encourages readers with a call to action. Woman are asked to explore how to instill these admirable traits into their lives. She also challenges readers to examine their own lives to see what specific characteristics of the Proverbs woman they can improve upon.

Chapter Two: Mary, Mother of Jesus

Chapter two is an account of Mary's conception and concentrates on God knowing what kind of heart we have which leads to "her husband can safely trust in her." This is an immensely important topic for today's culture. Somehow, we (in general) have lost the truth that a husband and wife are a team. They want what's best for each other, and will work hard to make the other one happy.

I believe our society has a lot to do with the current climate of misunderstanding of the marriage relationship, and that has permeated into the Lord's church. We as wives must remember something I was taught long ago. God, husband, then children. As Christa concludes, a worthy woman who trusts in God will love him with all her heart, love her husband and want what's good for him -- which includes caring for his children.


Chapter Three: Mary and Martha

"Is this a good decision for my family and can I honor God by the choice I make?" This question is probably the most important question Christa tackles in chapter three. As Christian women we must consider the decisions we make. Christa encourages us to pick up our Bibles and read it, because through it we know what God's will is for our lives.

As a women who has been a Christian for 20+ years I can say that there have been times I needed to study my Bible much more, and there have been times I have drank up the word. Years of study has truly made my decision making process much easier, because I know what God wants in every situation I find myself. I know how he wants me to dress. I know that he wants me to be at worship (even if there are secular events scheduled, or family is in.) I know God wants my dedication to him above all us.

Christa shows the importance of  our dedication to God and why we most hone our decision making skills to the pattern of God's word.


Thank you Christa!


What have your learned from chapters one through three?



6 comments:

  1. Just an aside Susan, I only finished chapter 2. Can I have til Tuesday to catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Thanks for all your wonderful comments!

      Delete
  2. I have learned that becoming a Proverbs 31 Lady will benefit my husband! This is God's goal for me and it is what he wants for me.
    I have learned to value my talents and use them for God's glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also learned how important it is to memorize Scripture so that I will be able to make decisions quicker when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I caught up! Starting next session today, Monday :)

    ReplyDelete