Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Meet the Author Andrea R. Piper

Meet the Author Interview:

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?  

I think I first thought of becoming a writer right after I finished high school.  I think I was missing high school tremendously and decided to write a teen novel based on my friendships and experiences while I was there. I never finished it, but I believe this is where the writing bug bit me.

How long does it take you to write a book? 

It really depends on the book -- so it’s hard for me to say. But rarely, if I really get down to it, would I believe it would need to take over a year.

For myself, I have tons of ideas and even outlines of future novels that I’ve started years ago- I may not get to any one of them for years to come. But once I start writing it, it shouldn’t take a year.

What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?

Before I was married, I worked in an accounting office, which at certain times of the year can be very hectic. I used to write after work, a lot of times at night – that seems to be when I really went at it. There were times at work that an inspiration would hit me and I’d jot it down at work and then incorporate it into my novel once I was at home.

But now I am married to a wonderful Christian man who told me he wanted to “deal with the outside world” for me and decided to allow me to stay home and write to my heart’s content. He almost believes in me more than I believe in myself. He’s my biggest cheerleader! So, writing for me can basically be at anytime now.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk?

I guess a writing quirk I have is that I like to write with certain favorite pens. I like very smooth writing pens, and get a little irate with my husband when he uses them!

Where do you get your information or ideas for your book?

I feel like this is a two-part question, so I’ll answer it this way. As for as the information for the books that I already have an idea about doing, I do a lot of research on the Internet. Most of my novels take place during times and places that I’ve never been a part of. So I have to research a lot during the creating of the book.

As far as how I get an idea or inspiration for the book itself -- it might be different for every book. For example, “The Painting of Dolly Luca ” was created based on a dream I had for a novel! I dreamed of the idea first and then I put it to paper.

But sometimes, my ideas come from everyday life. For example, I came up with “Black Tears ”-- the title, before I came up with the basis of the story -- simply because my black makeup was running down the sides of my face one day and when I looked in the mirror, it looked like ‘black tears’ and I remember thinking what a good title that would make for a book!

What do you like to do when you’re not writing? 

As you probably could guess, I love to read. I also love studying the Bible. If people only knew how much of life’s problems are resolved by studying the Word…I also love spending time with my husband and my family and watching old television shows, old movies.

What would you tell other Christian women who want to write? 

If you ever decide to write, don’t be afraid to put God within your message. When Christ is a part of you, it’s almost impossible not to impart some Christian wisdom within your writing- even if it’s a fictional story.

How many books have you written?

I have written (published) six books so far, thank the Lord.

Which is your favorite? 

Red and Green Apples " is probably my favorite because it was the first book I’ve written and I feel as though it’s also the most personal so far. The idea came about because of my great grandmother whom I never got a chance to meet. She seems to be a mystery to me and it seemed like I just couldn’t get the information about her that I wanted to, so I created a fictional story based loosely on her.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

What do you like to read? The suggestion I have for anyone trying to write is to write what you’re excited about. I love to write about family dynamics- family secrets, family genealogy.

Make sure you write about things you’d want to read about yourself -- not write just to sell a book. I don’t care to read ‘romance novels’. I like to read books that leave an impression on me, where I may remember the characters and/or their situations way after I’m finished reading the book. That’s also the type of books I try to write.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 

(I believe I’m doing it!) Actually, I used to want to be a teacher (and became a Sunday school teacher at one point). If God allows me to have children, I think I will want to home school them. As I got older, I used to think that being a country housewife, sitting in a window, writing, would be the ideal life. So, I believe I’m doing exactly what I want to do, praise God!


Books by Andrea R. Piper

The Painting of Dolly Luca
Black Tears
Red and Green Apples
The Death of Mrs. Tisby
Reflecting Copper
By Reason of Birth

Also check out Andrea's books in the Createspace Store!



What did you want to do when you grew up?




5 comments:

  1. Loved your interview, Andrea, and welcome to this lovely group that Susan hosts. We are blessed to know Susan and by her. I'll look at your books. And will try one. Should I try Red and Green Apples since it's your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, thank God for Susan! "Red and Green Apples" is probably a good choice!!

      Delete
  2. I liked reading about you too, and your advice. How wonderful that your husband supports you in your dream! I love old movies too. I have a Facebook group called Christian Hub For Movie Reviews. We review any type of movie but I personally have a tendency towards the old. If you want to join and can't find it let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I will surely look that up, Lord willing!

      Delete