Monday, July 20, 2015

Meet the Author: Sarah Floyd

"Sarah Floyd lives on the side of a mountain in Vermont with her husband, baby son, and Australian Shepherd dog. It took her more than fifteen years of dreaming to get to Vermont, but she finally made it. 

Mrs. Floyd holds degrees in Spanish and secondary education and previously worked as a teacher in the United States and South Korea.


She has been writing fiction since she was a child, but this is her first published novel. Mrs. Floyd enjoys writing inspirational fiction and poetry, reading, foreign languages, European travel, waterfalls, covered bridges, colorful fabric, and macaroni and cheese." 
(Amazon)

Sarah Floyd Book's

Finding Joy



Meet the Author Sarah Floyd:


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 

I tried to write my first story when I was about five years old, before I started kindergarten. I wanted to say "once upon a time," but I had to ask my mom how to spell every word except "a"! I officially decided in third grade that I wanted to be an author when I grew up. When I was in high school, I developed my writing "mission" - to create works of fiction that included truths about God and the church but were not "preachy" or unappealing to non-Christians.


How long does it take you to write a book? 

It depends entirely on what is happening in my life at that time. Finding Joy took about one year for me to write, but now that I have a baby, progress on additional books is extremely slow!


What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 

I don't have a set schedule, unfortunately. I would like to have that much time and self-discipline, but at this time, I just write when I have the opportunity.


Do you have an interesting writing quirk? 

I write my books long-hand in spiral notebooks. I don't like creating fiction on the computer. I think that would be considered a quirk these days for someone my age.


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? 

The ideas usually just come to me. The characters are often similar to people I know, but never identical. I am very careful to avoid duplicating anyone too closely.


What do you like to do when you're not writing? 

I love to read, especially fiction, and I also enjoy sports, almost any kind of games, art, and most importantly, spending time with my husband and baby.


What would you tell other Christian women who want to write? 

Be original. The market is flooded with "Christian" harlequin romances, Amish books, and Westerns. Write about real people and real problems. We as readers in the Christian fiction genre are desperate for the unexpected stories. And make yourself write even on days when you're not in the mood.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 

I've been completing book-length works since I was fourteen years old, but I have published only one, Finding Joy. It's the only book I've actually edited extensively enough to consider publishing.


Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

I would advise anyone who wants to improve their writing to pay attention to spelling, grammar, and punctuation rules, because doing so automatically raises your credibility. 

Eliminate unnecessary words (just, that, etc.). 

Avoid cliches unless you want your characters to be the kind of people who speak in cliches. 

Read what you've written aloud and think about how it sounds to you; if it sounds "off" somehow, it probably is. 

For fiction writing, always have at least one character who can be respected by your readers. 


What do you like to read? 

My favorite genre to read is definitely fiction. I prefer Christian fiction due to the filthiness found in so many mainstream novels. I also like poetry, but only when I'm in certain moods. One of my favorite current authors is Jamie Langston Turner. My favorite author from the past is L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables, etc.).


As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 

I think the list included teacher, artist, author, and librarian in addition to wife and mommy.


Fun fact. 

When my husband and I were dating, we dressed up for Halloween as macaroni and cheese. Our costumes included actual boxed macaroni noodles and processed cheese powder. By the end of trick or treating in the dorms of our college, we smelled terrible!





3 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you write in a spiral notebook. I used to and it took a lot to get used to typing it out on a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way, I love the feel of the pen scratching across the paper, it helps me think. I am so glad to have found this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always read my writing out loud, too. It is the best way I have found to find mistakes. Since I know what I intended to write, when I read my writing, I sometimes don't see the mistakes or omissions. When I read aloud, the mistakes are glaring.

    ReplyDelete