Tuesday, September 5, 2017

I Want to Write a Book but Where Do I Get My Resources


Sometimes I tend to take for granted that the things I have experience with, not everyone knows. So, today I am going to share a bit of information about where I get my resources for the books I write. There are different places depending on the genre and whether I want to write fiction of nonfiction, but gathering information is similar no matter the project.

Fact Finding for Religious Books


Let me add that you need to use caution if you are using a site other than one that you know for sure is doctrinally sound. For instance, the Vatican is a great resource for ancient art. I have used their museum site several times when writing More Than A Passing Glance: Early Christian Art, but I wouldn't go to it to find information on doctrinal issues.

Religious Resources


Bible
Commentaries: Gospel Advocate Series, etc.
E-Sword
Bible Gateway
Apologetics Press
Christian Courier
Come Fill Your Cup
Colley House

Writing Fiction Resources


Of course, writing fiction is a whole different world! A fiction writer must become a detective to find the information needed. I look at all kinds of sites for my writings. Google is really my best friend for writing fiction, and I would suggest utilizing it at every turn. I write a lot of series that require knowledge in areas that I don't possess. (I'm not really an expert on the occult or mythological creatures.) Using the search engine helps me locate all the necessary information I need on a given project. 

There are numerous other searchable facts for authors, like world-building, elements of different genres, and even how to write different traits for characters. Occasionaly I like to see an area that I'm writing about, and when I do, I use Pixabay, Wikimedia Commons, and Deposit Photos to find inspirational images.

Other Useful Sites



No comments:

Post a Comment