Tuesday, August 22, 2017

How to Choose a Book Topic

So, you want to write a book, but you don't know where to start. It's a lot of easier than you might think, but before you get into the actual details of writing, you have to choose a topic. This is perhaps the hardest and most important part of writing. I tend to have all kinds of book ideas swirling in my head, but how do I know which ones are viable for the market? Well, that's easy. I choose a topic that I'm passionate about and want to know more about. Chances are if I love it, so will others. Ultimately, you must remember that you are generally writing for yourself.

Have you ever been in a Bible class, and thought "I love this verse," or "Wow! This is such a great topic?" Those thoughts are the ones you want to follow to choose a book topic. It is the thing that sparks your interest that will sustain you through the writing process, and will keep readers interested.

Here are a few ways I've found that help me select a topic:

  • Read! Read your Bible. Read the newspaper. Read books. Reading helps to inspire creativity, and it is one of the best ways to find a topic.
  • Make a list. List your hobbies, things you like and things you'd like to know more about. Use these topics as a catalyst for your book topic. 
  • Talk to people. Find out what your friends are interested in. Ask them what subjects they may have wanted to study, but haven't been able to find material for.
  • Watch the news. Is there a story you find interesting, or incredible? Dig into it, and see if there is enough information to write a book.
  • Free write. Spend a bit of time writing everyday. Don't set confines to what your writing, just write. Write about anything that pops into your head.
  • Gather Stories. Chances are you've done something that makes great story fodder. Have you traveled, or lived through an event that'd make a great story? If so, write about it.

Once you've figured out your topic, it's time to flesh it out and brain storm. I like to write a few sentences about my selected topic. 

For Example:

Topic: How to Plan the Perfect Wedding 

  1. Selecting the venue.
  2. Choosing the right decor.
  3. How to select flowers for the season.
  4. Selecting the time of day.
Once, I have figured out about thirteen different sentences within a topic, I start writing. Really! It's that simple. You can choose a topic, and you can write a book! Why not start today?

For more writing information check out, Remove Your Shackles & Write.







No comments:

Post a Comment