Friday, August 19, 2016

Meet the Author Kelli Hughett

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
I knew it in fifth grade when I handwrote a book called “Katherine” which was basically a childish re-write of Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery. But as Anne says, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”

How long does it take you to write a book?
I write very fast, but I homeschool three kids so full length novels take me about 8 months. Novellas take between 5 and 6 months.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I try to spend Thursday afternoons in my office doing nothing but writing and then all day Friday, because my kids go to an enrichment program that day. I struggle with schedules…it’s an area I’m focusing on this year.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk?
When I’m in love with a story, I can go into a book coma. One time, I didn’t get up to use the bathroom, drink or even check the clock for four hours. It was like being under anesthesia. One moment it was 11 am and the next blink, it’s 3 pm. Time warp for writers. ☺ 

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I like to follow cultural trends and news for ideas. When I wrote Red Zone, I read that women were the fastest growing NFL demographic and thought a football suspense would be a great way to reach those fans.
My next book idea came from similar sources. More women take up hunting every year, so my next book features a woman who owns and runs a hunting lodge. (she’s also an amputee!)

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love speaking to women on practical Bible topics, creating video Bible Studies with Oil in My Lamp Ministries, and spending time with my husband and kids. I’m a voracious reader of fiction and occasionally non-fiction. I love regency films and being outdoors in Colorado. 

What would you tell other Christian women who want to write?
Welcome to the alternate reality of a writer, girl! It’s the best way to begin to know yourself, and God. Never write for anyone but God or yourself. Never write for fame. Write because you LOVE it.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written five novels. I think my favorite is a current WIP *work in progress* which is a suspense set in regency England. It begs a title, but I’ve yet to get a lightning strike of inspiration for it. ☺ Something like Murder at Holmestock Manor.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Get involved in a critique group early in your career. Keep writing in face of rejection and disappointment. Don’t dream of publishing your first novel --call that one a practice novel. Break some rules after you’ve established that you can follow them.

What do you like to read? 
I know I’m supposed to read in my genre, which would be contemporary suspense, but I rarely do. I love historical romance and I re-read my favorites regularly. (I’m a huge Austin fan) I also really enjoy some YA and dystopian.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
A doctor. 

Fun fact.
At this moment, I’m sitting next to a crackling wood fire, drinking tea from a china cup, looking out at the snow-covered rural Colorado landscape I love to call home. 






No comments:

Post a Comment