Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Meet the Author Kristy Huntsman

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Well, to be honest, it's not something I ever imagined I would do. I saw a need for deep, textual study material for women. I started writing to meet that need. It still feels odd to call myself an author.

How long does it take you to write a book? 
Well, I usually spend 3-6 months studying and researching before even attempting to put anything on paper. Since we run the Finer Grounds lessons through www.comefillyourcup.com as a live study before they go into book form I get to write them one chapter per week. So it usually takes about 3 months for the writing process.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I homeschool my girls, so I have to keep a pretty strict school/study/writing schedule. I usually spend at least an hour a day studying and then if I'm writing something I try to do a few minutes each day...but, a lot of the time, I end up procrastinating on the writing part and doing it the night before it's due.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk?
I am addicted to office supplies:) My favorite season is back-to-school sale season at Staples. I stock up on fun pens, notebooks and whatever else I can find!

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I LOVE to study scripture! Since my books are Bible study books they come straight from God's word.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love sewing and quilting, though I don't have much time for it in this season of my life. We live on a little homestead so another of my favorite past times is just to be outside working in the garden or pruning our little orchard.

What would you tell other Christian women who want to write?
Use your gift to further the kingdom of God! It continues to astonish me how far reaching the influence of the written word can be, especially in this age of technology. Keep writing, you may never know the full impact you will have on God's kingdom until we get to heaven!

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have 2 books currently published, Sanctified: Set Apart for a Purpose (A Study of 1st and 2nd Peter) and Redeemed: Bought Back No Matter The Cost: A Study of Hosea. Right now I would probably say that Redeemed is my favorite, simply because the message of the book of Hosea has been so incredibly impacting. Studying Hosea was a real eye-opener as far as the true depth of God's love for His imperfect people.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
This is a hard one because I still don't consider myself to be a fantastic writer. I would say that the biggest thing that has helped me is focus, continually asking myself what my purpose is and constantly reminding myself that I am doing this in service to God. This helps me always want to put forth my best effort.

What do you like to read? 
I love a good mystery or any of the classics. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite (other than the Bible obviously), mostly because I am married to Mr. Darcy:) I don't have much time for casual reading anymore though, if I pick up a book it is usually either a homeschool book or a Greek Lexicon.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
Well, when I was in second grade I desperately wanted to be an entomologist (scientist who studies bugs). My father informed me that this wasn't a very practical career choice...so I became a musician instead.

Fun fact.
I have two music degrees: a Bachelor's in oboe performance and a Master's in conducting. Before I had children I was a professor at a small college in Pennsylvania. This is the first time since I was 16 that I haven't been teaching music in some capacity, which is really strange. I still try to use my musical talents to serve in the Kingdom when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment