Monday, October 5, 2015

Meet the Author Tammy S. Knox

Titanic, Titanic Museum, Books about the Titanic, Titanic books, Tammy S. Knox
Click the image for more info.

Welcome Author Tammy S. Knox! 

I always love getting to know authors better. Now, here's your chance. Spend a few minutes getting to know Tammy, and don't forget to read  more about her book Trapped on The Titanic. It's available on Amazon in print and Ebook. If you have a Kindle unlimited account, it's also free! So, check it out today.

Susan



Meet the Author Tammy S. Knox

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I first decided that I wanted to be an author when I was 13. In fact, that is when I first began writing part of my book, Trapped on the Titanic.  I worked on it off and on and as kids do, lost interest, then renewed my interested in my story in 1995 after seeing the traveling Titanic exhibit.  I worked on my story again off and on mainly as a hobby, never really believing that I could get it published. It wasn't till 2011, when my father told me about an article on self publishing, that I really finished my story that I had started so long ago.  It was perfect timing, as my story deals with the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic which occurred in 2012.  With the help of my husband (he inserted photos and helped design my cover) and our two oldest daughters (they were the models for the main characters of the book), we were able to self publish before April 2012.

How long does it take you to write a book?
Well, the first book took a long time. I am currently working on other fiction books and a Bible workbook as well.  It is hard to say how long it will take me to finish, because I homeschool our two oldest daughters and in 2012 we were surprised and blessed with a third daughter.  She keeps me wonderfully busy.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
When I finally get a chance to sit down and write, it is normally after everyone is in bed.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk?
I have an old sweatshirt that I wear a lot when I write in the cooler months.  It is frayed around the neck, wrist bands, and waist from where I have pulled at strings and twisted them into knots.  If I am not wearing that sweatshirt I will twiddle my hair while I think.  Sounds silly but it helps me think.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Many of my ideas come from some of my own experiences or experiences of my girls.  I base a lot of my characters and their traits on myself and my family.  Since I write historical fiction, I use many sources to check facts.  I love old history books and the internet is a very valuable tool as well.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
When I am not writing, I am busy being a stay at home mommy.  I also enjoy traveling with my family, sewing, making crafts, decorating cakes and gardening.

What would you tell other Christian women who want to write? 
When I have met other Christian women who want to write or are in the process of writing, I always encourage them to research self publishing.  Self publishing has made it easy and affordable for anyone who wants to write.  You have to do your own marketing of yourself, which can be a challenge, but can also have many rewards.  I contacted the Titanic Museum Attractions in both Branson, MO and Pigeon Forge, TN and they are regular carriers of my book plus I have had many book signings at both places.

What do you like to read?
I love reading mystery stories, ghost stories, historical fiction, history books, and children's books. Some of my favorite authors and books are Sir Arthur Connan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Agatha Christie, Mary Stewart, Anne Perry, Betty Ren Wright, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, Robert McCloskey (the Homer Price books), and so many others.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
As a child I wanted to be an author, a detective, an astronaut, an Air Force pilot, and a mommy.  I am a mommy, a preacher's wife, and now an author.  I don't think there is any hope anymore of me becoming an Air Force pilot or astronaut. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment