Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Reach for Your Dreams and Send That Query To a Literary Agent


Well, I did it. Today, I really did it. I've always wanted to, but I've been way too scared to get it done. But, this evening I bit the bullet and sent a query letter to a literary agent. Don't get me wrong, I love being Indie published. I love publishing at the press of the button, but still the idea of having an agent that is working for me is somewhat appealing.

The funny thing is that it wasn't the fear of rejection that held me back, it was taking the plunge into the unknown. It's setting myself up for possible success that's really the scary thing for me. I remember the first time I sent a poem to a literary journal. I was terrified to hit the send button on my Email. I was so afraid that the editor would say something terrible about my work, or even worse than that not even respond.  But, with the prodding of my college teachers, I sent Captain Jack to Poesia, and to my surprise they accepted it and paid me for it!

The second time I sent poetry to Poesia I wasn't nearly as scared. I sent three poems, half-way expecting to get a rejection. This time the editor wrote back immediately. He wasn't only going to publish one of them, but all three of them in the same book! I was so excited.

These experiences spurred me on to contact The New Yorker. I know for a fact getting published by The New Yorker is hard. In fact, I read an article once that stated Stephen King has been rejected by The New Yorker. So, I didn't really expect to hear back from them; however, the poetry editor sent me a nice rejection letter that even mentioned my poem and what he liked about it -- even though it wasn't right for them. I was so proud of that rejection letter.

Why am I telling you this? Is it because I want to brag about myself? No! I am telling you this so that you will reach for your dreams, and let nothing hold you back. You are a writer, and writers write. Go for it. Reach for the stars!

2 comments:

  1. I hope and pray you can find an agent! They are pretty much essential to breaking into today's book market. All best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you Katy. I don't know how this adventure will turn out, but at least it's a step in that direction. I still go back and forth on what I want for my fantasy and sci-fi works. But, I hope at the very least I will get some kind of rejection letter. :)

    ReplyDelete