Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Meet the Author Emily Hopkins


Meet the Author Emily Hopkins!

Emily is the author and illustrator of The Best Place To Lay An Egg,  and has also worked as an illustrator for Dash the Racecar: In The Race of a Lifetime and Alphabear.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?  
I don't suppose that I dreamed of becoming a published author, but through out school a creative writing assignment always seemed like a treat to me and in jr high I discovered how much I enjoyed putting my imagination down on paper.

How long does it take you to write a book? 
That depends largely on the book. Children's stories are often told as much by the illustrations as the the words and so those don't take as long to write. Some of my longer stories took months just for the rough draft.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing? 
I have to fit it into my regular schedule since children and animals won't wait.

Do you have an interesting writing quirk? 
I like to let my mind roll over ideas, subjects and phrases while I'm doing manual labor (weeding the garden, or cleaning stalls are great for deep thinking).

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? 
I love the word of the Lord and often His lessons are keenly illustrated to me by the things that happen on our farm. The uniqueness of each one of His creatures is amazing and sometimes amusing.

What do you like to do when you're not writing? 
My husband and I thoroughly enjoy living in the country and raising our children on a farm.

What would you tell other Christian women who want to write? 
It's a blessing to see a profit for your efforts, but first write because you enjoy it.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 
I've scribbled out many stories, but I've only published one (a very serious tale about chickens and their various trials).

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? 
Write like you talk. If you're not one to use big words or figures of speech then don't write like that. Short sentences are OK if that's you.

What do you like to read? 
Just about anything.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 
I'm still trying to decide.

Fun fact. 
My family participates in reenactments where were dress and live like the 1800's settlers to teach school kids what it was like. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you, Emily. In four simple words you've managed to define the writing term "voice" that so many have written volumes about: "Write like you talk." :D

    ReplyDelete